Saturday, March 1, 2008

Shut Up and Pee!

Twice in the past week I have entered a ladies room, chosen a stall, started to do my thing and realized that the women next door is having a conversation on her cell phone. While she is using the potty. While she was, ahem, pooping, in one case.

What is so damned important that you must chat on the phone while your ass is parked on the john? I am sorry, but I can not think of a single topic, other than the notification of extreme bodily injury or death of a loved one, that could not wait the three minutes it might take you to relieve yourself.

Am I alone in feeling that this is a breach of etiquette? I mean, first of all isn't it a little disrespectful to the person you are calling? Do they really want to hear your bodily functions, all set to the backdrop of toilets flushing? Do they matter so little that you can't devote a couple of non-pooping minutes to talk to them?

And then, isn't it a little rude to everyone else in the restroom? They can't help but listen to your conversation in such close quarters. And it feels a little invasive to me. It kind of creeps me out knowing that a third party is privy to everything going on in the room.

This is surely a sign that technology and the need to be connected has reached too far into our lives. What's next? Texting during sex? Chatting on your cell while getting a pap smear? You have to draw the line somewhere and the restroom door is a good place to start.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

MAJOR pet peeve for me. Homer does it all the time AND because he's on the phone, he walks away without flushing. Argh! There is nothing sacred any more.

Anonymous said...

I would only ever use the potty and talk on phone if it were a dire emergency, and it the conversation was with either my mother or sister. Otherwise, just plain tacky!! And, yes, it annoys the poop out of me too! Nobody is that damned important... and if you think you are then you really need to get over yourself.

Rima said...

I completely agree. I don't think there is EVER an excuse, except, of course, if you really think you're dying and have less than a minute for a final farewell. But even then. sheesh.

Jennifer S said...

There's something wrong with texting during sex? Huh.

Seriously, this is one of my big peeves. One time, the person on the phone was talking about personal money matters--certainly not the sort of thing I would have wanted everyone to hear. I was waiting for her to shout out some account numbers (thought I might have had to scramble for a pen).

It's tempting to get one of those cell phone scramblers for moments like these. Or for the movie theater when people answer. their. phones. And talk.

That's the best example of justifiable homicide right there.

Don Mills Diva said...

I am so with you - that is just disgusting.I mean, I'm sure the other person on the phone can hear SOMETHING! Gross!

Lisa Wheeler Milton said...

I'm so glad someone just said it. Why do ladies think this is a good plan?

(Did I say 'lady'? I'm feeling generous...)

Magpie said...

I so hope that they never go through with the plan to put cell service in the NYC subway system. People are annoying enough there!