Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Overkill

Okay, I like Tim Russert just as much as the next guy, er, girl. Maybe more so, given that I have political junkie tendencies. But seriously, is it really necessary for NBC and MSNBC to devote 5 entire days to practically non-stop Russert coverage?

I was seriously bummed when I heard the news that he had died and at work, no less, because I love Meet the Press and was always eager to hear his analysis. I am more than sorry that he won't be around for the election. But really, I think the 5 days of glowing reviews of his achievements and sobbing and hand wringing on NBC and MSNB is a little much.

Makes me wonder what they'll do when Tom Brokaw or Matt Lauer bite the dust. Will we have a solid two weeks of TV mourning? Enough already.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a problem when the newspeople become the news. I liked the guy, too, but I really agree with you. Enough already.

Mary Alice said...

I loved him as well....but you're right. I guess we should be thankful that news is slow these days, huh?

Magpie said...

this is why i don't watch tv news. they turn little things into craziness. not that russert didn't deserve a good send-off. but still.

Anonymous said...

Having worked in TV for years, news is what people are willing to take in while watching ads.

ADG

overtly trite said...

and I'm not sure which was worse the non-stop coverage or the fact that I sat and complained about the coverage yet watched a bunch of it...

Betsy, short for Elizabeth, formally known as Esther said...

I am with you all the way!

Jennifer S said...

I haven't really been watching TV news this week, but I agree with you on principal.

These days, we don't have death in the right perspective in some regards (have we given that much coverage to the deaths of our soldiers in that same span of time?). I doubt that Tim Russert would want that much focus on his death.

I gently disagree with the other commenter that it's a slow news week. It's just that the media pick and choose what they report.