Friday, February 15, 2008

Hospital Administrators, Here's An Idea For You

This morning, I packed up both kids, an endless array of snacks and diversions and went to a last minute appointment at my urologist's office. I have a chronic urological condition that occasionally flares up, resulting in the need to pee every 5 minutes, and when it flares, I have to go in to the office for a bladder instillation. I usually don't take the kiddos with me, as this office is always behind schedule. I swear that they must triple book every appointment slot. I sweated bullets all the way over there, dreading the whole thing. I just knew Ladybug would scream her head off and Sweet Pea would get into everything.

Of course the office was crowded and they were running behind. We waited about a half an hour in the waiting room and then finally got back to a room, where the nurse acted like it was the biggest inconvenience in the world that I had brought my kids. I don't know why it was such a big deal, the treatment takes less than 5 minutes, but apparently it really threw a wrench in her whole routine. I almost said, "Look lady, do you think I like having to drag my kids all the way over here, try to entertain them for a half-hour in the very boring waiting room full of geriatrics, and then have them watch me spread eagle on the table being catheterized? No, not my idea of fun. This is way harder on me than it is on you so just DEAL WITH IT!" Of course I didn't say that. I just glared at her and thought evil thoughts. Actually, my kids were very well-behaved, all things considered. It was just such an ordeal.

On the way home from this hour of torture, I had a brilliant idea. Wouldn't it be great if large medical centers had drop-off childcare? How wonderful would that be? You could drop the kids off just before your appointment, let them play for an hour and then pick them up. It is often hard to find day-time sitters and I bet they could make lots of extra money this way (as if they didn't already bill enough for things like that pair of disposable panties you get after delivery). We all know hospitals like making money. I wonder if this is already in place in more progressive cities or countries?

We don't do enough to support parents in this country. Wouldn't the world be better if women ran it?

No comments: