Friday, February 15, 2008

I Am a Dancing Queen.

We just had Dance Party 2008 in our living room. My rock star/computer geek husband just built a media center pc which can download TV and play all the music we have downloaded on our computer. So, tonight we rocked out to Like Oh My, God The 80's Pop Culture Box. We're talking 867-5309, You Dropped a Bomb on Me, Electric Avenue, Tainted Love, Roam, Major Tom, 99 Luft Ballons etc. We played it all, baby. The kids didn't quite know what to make of their mom flailing around the living room like she was having a seizure. It was like, AWESOME, DUDE.

Seriously, I had a flashback moment or two. I was totally transported back to Club 616 or Raiford's in Memphis in the early 90's, dressed in a babydoll dress and clunky Mary Jane heels, drinking dollar beer or quarts (Raiford's only sold Q's) and dancing like a maniac. I looked through my picture albums to try to give you a visual, but it seems as if all my pictures were taken at Alex's the hole-in-the-wall after-hours bar we basically lived in. Oh those were the days.

A few years ago, the year before Sweet Pea was born, we went to a New Year's Eve party at some friends' house and they had transformed their basement into a disco. They played all 80's and 90's hits all night and the women spent the entire evening dancing. We all took our heels off and danced until 4:30 am. It was something to see: 30-something women, many mothers, all getting down until dawn. It was one of the best New Year's Eves I've spent. I felt like hell the next day, but it was worth it.

I have feeling we'll be listening to a lot of music tomorrow.

No comments: